The increasing demand for quality energy supply coupled with the need to develop alternative energies with a reduced impact on the environment are some of the driving elements behind the development and progress of this sector. Accredited conformity assessment services have accompanied this development by responding to its needs. A considerable number of accredited testing, inspection and certification services now create confidence among public authorities, business and consumers in the safety and quality of the generation, transmission, distribution and marketing of energy both from non-renewable (coal, oil, natural gas and nuclear) and renewable sources (wind, solar, biomass, etc.).
- Testing and certification of wind turbines and wind farms: characterisation of wind turbines, power curve, power quality, adaptation of response to voltage dips, evaluation of site wind potential, etc.
- Testing and monitoring of photovoltaic modules and systems: design qualification and type approval, electrical safety, power, photovoltaic conversion system response to voltage dips, pyranometer calibration.
- Testing and certification of solar thermal sensors and systems for the supply of domestic hot water to homes and buildings.
- Characterisation testing of biofuels (biodiesel, bioethanol and biomass) and fossil fuels.
- Safety inspection of electricity production, processing, transmission and distribution facilities.
- Inspection of photovoltaic systems.
- Assessment of the energy efficiency of facilities (street lighting, thermal installations in buildings).
- Certification of energy management systems.
- Certification of gas installers and specialists in the commissioning, maintenance and repair of gas appliances.
- Certification of persons as energy auditors.
- Certification of persons as technicians in the energy certification of housing.
- Certification of persons as technicians verifying high voltage power lines.
- Certification of persons as fitters of gas and heating systems in buildings.
- Certification of persons as low voltage experts.
- Testing of equipment, instruments, components, elements and materials for nuclear safety.
- Metrological control of gas and electricity meters.
- Inspections of mining safety and the control of mining waste facilities and rehabilitation of the space affected by mining activities.